Owner: Loves Travel Stop
Project: New Construction – Loves Travel Stop
Location: Sadieville, KY
Loves Travel Stops receive over 1,000 cars and 1,000 semi-trailer trucks daily. The first Loves project to install ACE Fiber in the asphalt was at a brand new Loves Travel Stop constructed in Sadieville KY back in 2015. This was not an asphalt overlay project. This was a brand new pavement. ACE Fiber was mixed in with all of the asphalt including the base mix and surface mix for the entire project throughout all of the drive lanes and parking areas.
Pictured below, pictures of the pavement after four years in service from the project in Sadieville, KY, and a nearby store in Knightstown, IN that did not have ACE Fiber. It is important to keep in mind that although these sites have slight differences in subgrade conditions and pavement thicknesses, both pavements were designed to a 20 year design life. Therefore, we should not expect to see much difference in pavement performance at any point in time.
- Here, you can see the turning lanes and entrances into the stores. This is a high distress area at Loves sites where fast moving vehicles turn 90 degrees to enter and commonly cause shoving, rutting and early cracking.
- At Sadieville we do not see cracking or rutting occurring.
- At Knightstown, we see fatigue cracking and asphalt patchwork already constructed in the turn lane.
- This is the light duty drive and parking areas around the car fueling stations.
- At Sadieville, we only see a crack at the cold joint from the paving operation.
- At Knightstown, we see widespread fatigue cracking beginning to occur.
- Here are asphalt to concrete transitions at manhole and catch basin structures.
- At Sadieville, we only see a minimal cracking and deformation. Stormwater can still make its way over the transition and into the catch basin drain.
- At Knightstown, once again we see widespread fatigue cracking and over an inch of deformation that is revealing the concrete edge and creating a water-trap and trip hazard.
Once again, we’re seeing how ACE Fiber holds pavements together and extends its service life. For more information, Contact us today.